This is Part VII in my series on CBD (cannabidiol) oil. You can get the summaries of each of the previous topics in the accompanying videos below:
Video 1: Introduces CBD oil and some precautions to consider before using it.
Video 2: Summarizes the history of the regulation and legal status of marijuana and cannabis species.
Video 3: Clarifies the properties of hemp, CBD oil, and the cannabis plant. It also covers the current medical indications for CBD oil.
Video 4: Highlights the laws and restrictions of CBD oil after the passage of the Farm Bill.
Video 5: Discusses the actions of the endocannabinoid system and how the main cannabis cannabinoids interact with it. (Resources and tables are provided.)
Video 6: Reviews the benefits of the whole “entourage” of compounds found in cannabis and the synergistic effects over an isolate, such as CBD. (Resources and tables are provided.)
In this 13-minute video in my CBD oil series, I begin connecting the dots and summarizing all the factors that will influence how it works with your body. This is a primer to the much-awaited final review of the current research on its uses and efficacy.
The topics covered in this video include:
- A review of the importance of understanding all the main features of any intervention before using it. In the case of CBD oil, I highlighted the role of the endocannabinoid system and the benefits of the entourage effect of the cannabis plant as examples.
- The coming and going of the various “miracle cure-alls” in the health space that I’ve seen and the importance of quality and standards when assessing them. This is especially important to note in the “Wild West” of CBD oil products that are currently available.
- How biochemical individuality and epigenetics interact to determine a person’s response to an intervention, including CBD oil. These two concepts are used by naturopathic and functional medicine doctors to determine what specific recommendations to provide to their patients/clients.
- The benefits of the balance of a synergistic, full spectrum hemp product. Although isolated compounds from cannabis plants, such as CBD oil, can have more powerful impacts, this can also translate to more potential side effects.
- The evidence of an interaction between medication and nutraceuticals on the endocannabinoid system and modulation of our own endogenous cannabinoids. This may impact hemp and CBD oil’s efficacy.
- Why I have an issue with the haphazard use of supplements without considering an individual’s unique biochemical makeup. This relates to my practice in women’s health and to my love of essential oils.
- Previous resources (from the videos above) on cannabinoid medications, CBD oil indications, and their current legal status.
- The current state of the clinical research on CBD oil and the main areas of focus for my upcoming review.
Please share your thoughts and comments below!
For access to the resources and references on this topic, please see the accompanying article here.