Essential Oils: More Than Just Symptom Relief
Everyone gets physical and mental “hiccups” at times. Thankfully, we don’t have to be afraid of every ache, pain, and emotional swing. Our body and mind are designed to maintain balance when we take good care of ourselves.
It is when symptoms are consistent and troublesome that we should seek to decode them more intentionally. In this way, we can find the deeper issue and address it.
Consistent headaches, although common and likely not a serious signal of pathology, could be an early sign of greater physiological imbalances. In the long-run, if these are not addressed, they could lead to an increased risk of other health problems.
In this podcast episode of the Essential Oil Revolution, I discuss headaches and how essential oils can help to relieve them.
First, I provide an overview of headaches including their classifications, common types, causes, red flags, and functional medicine tests to consider when the underlying reason for them is hard to determine. I also highlighted naturopathic and functional medicine approaches that can help to soothe an achy head by addressing their origins. Among them is aromatherapy.
Essential oils are a natural intervention that can be used to enhance any wellness protocol. They ease symptoms as they safely assist in restoring physiological, psychological, and biochemical balance. The two essential oils I highlight in this podcast are lavender and peppermint. These oils have impressive research on their ability to modulate head pain as they support the mind-body in a myriad of ways.
If you struggle with headaches, which would put you among most of the population, you’ll want to listen to this episode. You will discover more about how the aromatic and chemical properties of essential oils can address deeper imbalances as they ease symptoms of headaches.
Here’s a Full Overview of What You Will Learn:
- How the aromatic and physical properties of essential oils can help to restore the body back to balance as they address common symptoms.
- The prevalence of headaches and what the most common symptoms are.
- The classification of headaches (primary, secondary, and cranial neuropathies).
- Common types of headaches and their symptoms (tension, migraine, and cluster).
- Common causes and triggers of headaches. These include:
- low blood sugar from intermittent fasting
- hormonal imbalances
- gut issues
- environmental exposures
- nutrient deficiencies
- lifestyle factors
- How to use the acronym “SNOOP” to determine if a headache is serious.
- Conventional and functional medicine laboratory blood work that can help to determine the causes of headaches.
- Conventional treatments for headaches.
- Why we need to address the root cause of headaches.
- Some natural solutions for addressing headaches.
- Why I chose to review peppermint and lavender essential oils for headache relief.
- The concept of synergy and how it relates to essential oils.
- The two symptoms I use in my practice that indicate using peppermint oil may help a headache.
- The chemical makeup of peppermint oil and its various mechanisms of actions.
- The meaning of amphoteric and how it relates to essential oils.
- How peppermint oil can get to the root causes of headaches. This is based on how it supports digestion via the gut-brain link, affects neural health, mediates neurotransmitters, and impacts brain function.
- Studies on using peppermint oil for headaches.
- The three symptoms that co-occur with a headache that lead me to select lavender oil for relief.
- The chemical makeup of lavender essential oil and its mechanism of actions.
- How lavender oil can address the root cause of headaches. This is related to how it supports the stress response, relieves allergies, modulates neurotransmitters and brain function, decreases anxiety, lowers cortisol, and regulates the nervous system.
- Studies that reported on the use of lavender oil for migraine headaches and prophylaxis.
- How to use essential oils for headaches.
- Additional resources.
If you like the show, you can help us out by subscribing and providing a rating, comment, and/or feedback on your favorite podcast player. This is a no-cost way to spread the word and ensures we keep providing you with the best guests and essential oils education!
My Blogs, Videos, and Research Reviews on Headaches and Essential Oils:
- When Your Head Hurts: Headache Causes, Common Types, Red Flags That They are Serious, and Naturopathic and Functional Medicine Tests to Help Find the Cause
- My Aching Head! Naturopathic, Functional, and Mind-Body Medicine to Soothe Headaches
- Lavender Oil: The Go-To Essential Oil that Soothes the Brain, Lowers Anxious Symptoms, Calms Stress, Decreases Head Discomfort… and More!
- Peppermint Oil: A Powerful Ally for Digestive Health, Brain Support, Head Discomfort, and Much More
Links to Learn More About My Offerings and Education on Essential Oils:
- My Essential Oils Community Membership
- My Resource Page
- My CEU Course for Practitioners on the Clinical Use of Essential Oils
Previous Episode on the Vagus Nerve with Additional Resources:
Disclaimer: This material is for information purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, treat, or prescribe for any illness. You should check with your doctor regarding implementing any new strategies into your wellness regime. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. (Affiliation link.)
This information is applicable ONLY for therapeutic quality essential oils. This information DOES NOT apply to essential oils that have not been tested for purity and standardized constituents. There is no quality control in the United States, and oils labeled as “100% pure” need only to contain 5% of the actual oil. The rest of the bottle can be filled with fillers and sometimes toxic ingredients that can irritate the skin. The studies are not based solely on a specific brand of an essential oil, unless stated. Please read the full study for more information.
Thanks Pixabay and Canva.