Some Buggy Updates from Microbiome Research and Top Health News for February 2017 All Located Here
Ever since the Human Microbiome Project, which sought to study the impact of the sum of the microorganisms that live in and on our body, researchers and doctors have become practically obsessed with these critters. Never did one guess they would have such a profound impact on all aspects of one’s health!
As our understanding of this relatively “new organ system” evolves, and our means to study it (microbiomology), more research emerges that shifts our understanding. These studies have been rolling out in rapid speed (“microbiome” gets over 30,000 hits in PubMed)! The results are affecting clinicians’ and scientists’ perceptions on how the human body works and just how interconnected we are with these little internal inhabitants.
This week, I decided to break out some of the “bug-loving” articles from my monthly Top Holistic and Integrative Health Reads below and highlight some of the most interesting and latest findings in this area from February 2017. You can find it here.
If this is all new to you, I invite you read this blog, “Microbiome Insights For (the Not So) Dummies: A Simple Blog To Make You Sound Really Smart About Belly Bugs.”
If you’d rather listen and learn to catch up, click on the link for one of favorite 17-minute TED talks with microbe-connoisseur, Rob Knight !
So, are you overwhelmed by the hugeness of such a microscopic influence?
It may make you wonder, “Who is inhabiting who?” “Are we just microbe-transporting device units?”
So, you still think your human?
You may want to think again!
Watch this 9-minute video! This was released in 2012. Although we’ve learned so much since then, but you’ll get the foundation for ideas of the topic!
Now, Here Are Some Other Buggy Connection Highlights For You:
- Gut Bugs and Alzheimer’s Linked
- Feeding the Critters- Prebiotics, Sleep, and Mice
- Yeast in Babies Guts and Asthma Linked
- Chewing Away Gut Health- An Ingredient found in Chewing Gum May Be Bad for Your Intestine?
- The Lung Microbiome- The Mouth- Lung Bug Connection
In Case You Missed One of Last Years’ Fave:
Now for Top Holistic and Integrative Health Reads For February 2017!
- Link Found Between Ovarian Removal and Heart Health Risks
- Amphetamines May Increase Risk of Damage to the Heart
- Smell Receptors Found in the Heart
- Less Stress Impact in Married People (Saliva)
- More Evidence That Retreats are Good for Your Health
- EFT Reduces Anxiety in Adolescents
Mouth and Health
Technology, Policy, and Innovation
- The Implications of a Low Cost “Lab on a Chip” – Democratizing Medicine?
- Blood Test for Schizophrenia in Works
- An Actual Preventative Treatment for Screening In Colon Cancer?
- A New Way to Study Sleep, Without Drugs
- What Will Happen if ACA is Repealed?
- Is a Cancer Diagnosis Right Under Your Nose?
- More Breast Cancer Testing, More False Diagnoses?
- Brain Differences in Girls and Boys and Autism
- New Method to Detect Brain Changes and Associated Autism Risk in Children
- The Brain Makes Fructose From Glucose
- Sugar (Glycation) on the Alzheimer’s Brain?
Interesting Integrative Updates
- Drug Free Back Pain Relief Recommendations
- Noninvasive Treatments for Acute, Subacute, and Chronic Low Back Pain: A Clinical Practice Guideline From the American College of Physicians
- Air Pollution Linked to Increase Risk of Obesity and Diabetes in Latino Children
- Baby’s Gender and Mom’s Immune Response
- Diet Quality and Fitness Among the Fit
- More on the Benefits of Mediterranean Diet and Olive Oil
- B Vitamins May Help Schizophrenia
- Gluten Free, Metals High (JERF)
- DHA Supplements Linked to Less Progression to Alzheimer’s in APOE4 Carriers
- Vitamin D Whack-A-Mole- It Does Help with Preventing Respiratory Infections…With Caveats
- Could a Brazilian Peppertree Be a Clue to the Answer of Antibiotic Resistance?
- Infectious Outbreak Led to Recall in Children Taking Stool Softener
- The Cost of Meds for Young Cancer Patients
- Many Seniors on Multiple Meds That Can Affect Brain
- Pharma Industry Shuns Trump Push for Radical Shift at FDA
- The Pros and Cons of Testosterone Therapy- More Studies
- ‘Off-Label’ Antidepressants Common, But Where’s the Evidence?
Phew, now that you are caught up here, make sure to catch up more here.
Stay tuned for some upcoming info on my homepage on how to love these buggies more.